Delegate: Mr. Ryan Patrick Wallace
Ryan is a senior at Cedar Ridge High School in Hillsborough, NC.
Delegate: Mr. Joseph Hyun Chong
Joseph is a junior at Providence High School in Charlotte, NC.
Check Out the Digital Presentation & NC Essay for this Year's Winners.
Joseph Chong - NC Essay
The candidates' essay question for 2016-2017:
The adage "All politics is local." is known to have been coined by Washington AP bureau chief Byron Price in 1932. Tip O'Neill, who was the Democratic House Speaker, 1977-1987, first used the term back in 1935, when he was first entering politics and ran for a seat on the Cambridge, Massachusetts City Council in 1935, while he was still a student at Boston College. However, there are those who would argue that the past several decades have seen politics become increasingly nationalized. Prepare an essay addressing the question, “What happens when the people of a constitutional democracy, such as the United States, only participate in national elections, forgetting or ignoring issues of local and state politics?”
- Discuss the meaning of the adage “all politics is local”.
- Use factual information, data, or examples to explain its application to both local and state politics of North Carolina.
- Explain how elections and voting influence 1) local and state politics, 2) national politics, and 3) the United States’ world politics.
- Keeping in mind the question, take a position arguing the sentiment of those who would say that politics is less local than it used to be.
- Explain your position and provide support for it.
- Based on your discussions and position draw a conclusion for what you think happens when the people only participate in national elections.
in pursuing careers in public service.